Building Blocks of Crafting

A few weeks ago I got it into my head that I should convert my often abandoned office into a crafting room. This would effectively make that room useful to me again as well as remove the clutter of my crafting sprees from the kitchen. Unfortunately, the only desk I had in there was my cheap computer desk that would simply not suffice for any actual crafting. The answer? Build a desk! I know I could have gone out and bought something that would have worked well enough, but where is the fun in spending that much money on something that isn’t exacly what you want…or for spending way too much money for something that is exactly what you want?!

Last week I sat down and planned out what I wanted in a desk. Something long enough that I can have space to work and space to clutter. I wanted shelves that I could store stuff on and easily reach while I was working. I wanted something that I could make two of and place them in an L-shape to make a crafting mecca (still working on this duplicate part). So, I took those things, translated them into plans with dimensions and set out to purchase the materials that I didn’t have on hand. Here is what I ended up using.

  • 4’x8′ board of birch hardwood – $40
  • 1 package of  black drywall screws – $6
  • 1 bottle of Gorilla wood glue – $4
  • Wood stain – $5
  • Polyurethane – $10Cutting the boards
  • A pair of saw horses – $35
  • Small drill bit – (already had)
  • Drill – (already had)
  • A circular saw – (already had)
  • A jig saw – (already had)
  • Sand paper (rough and fine) – (already had)

Since I am not cool enough to own a car with a giant trunk or a truck bed I had the wonderful people at the hardware store cut the wood down into manageable pieces. This served to get it into my car and to make sure I got a straight edge on the most important piece, the top. Once I got everything home my cousin Chrissy and my friend Meagan worked on marking and cutting up the rest of the pieces for the desk. A few hours in we had the boards fully cut and layed out so the assembly could begin.

 

We started the assembly with the legs to create a stable working area and then moved on to the shelves. To assemble we used the wood glue on the edge of the piece we were attaching, held it in place and used the drill bit to create lead holes everwhere we were going to put a screw. This prevented the board from splitting when the screws were put in and since this board was a type of plywood that could split easily this step was vital to our success. A good number of screws to hold everything in place and the frame of the desk went together pretty quickly. The shelves posed a bit more of an issue because using the circular saw instead of a table saw meant that my cuts weren’t all exactly the width I marked them at. When trying to create tight-fitting shelves this little room for error meant big difficulties. Nothing that a little sand paper couldn’t fix but it was definitely a lesson learned for when I build the matching desk. After about 6 hours of hard work the desk was more-or-less assembled. It was time to nourish the body and get some rest. We grabbed dinner and called it quits for the night.

Later that week I got back to finish the desk by sanding down every surface until it was smooth to the touch. I used a paper towel to apply stain to the entire desk and was happy to see that the stain really made the grain of the wood pop out! To say I was pleased with my choice in wood would be an understatement! I was surprised at how much stain the desk ate up an actually went through about a can and a half to cover all of the surfaces. I let the desk sit overnight making my garage and the house smell wonderful while the stain dried. The next day it was time for another sanding with the fine sand paper and a coat of polyurethane to seal it all in. I used a standard paint brush to get the sealant applied and since I chose the quick dry version I only had to wait 3 hours to do another all-surface sanding with the fine sand paper. One final coat of polyurethane and this baby was done! We of course waited until the final coat was dry…mostly…and then relocated the desk up to my craft room.

So without further ado I present the finished product!

       

Advertisements
Comments
One Response to “Building Blocks of Crafting”
  1. Beth says:

    very beautiful. I am so proud.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: